As Charlotte steps through the gate, she has a strong feeling that nothing will ever be the same again. Moving back to South Carolina after three years away, Charlotte knows she's going to have to face people from her past and adjust to a new high school, but she's completely unprepared for what else waits for her in Charleston. Drawn through an old garden gate, Charlotte discovers a hidden world where she meets Calvin, a boy to whom she is inexplicably attracted. As Charlotte is pulled deeper into this hidden world, it's up to her older brother Kevin to rescue her. No matter how hard Kevin tries, the rescue depends upon Charlotte fighting her intense feelings for Calvin while mastering a set of abilities that she has only just discovered she possesses.
First of all,
let me start by saying that this cover is just gorgeous! I am so excited about this book. Alyssa is getting awesome reviews for it and I can see why.
I got to chat a little with Alyssa and she was gracious enough to answer some questions for us AND there's a giveaway of two e-book copies at the end of the interview so stay tuned!
1. How did you come up with the story line behind Beckoning Light?
Beckoning Light started with a dream. Although the scene that inspired it all never made it into the book, it gave me the idea for the hidden world and some of the characters (Charlotte and Calvin). Once I started writing, the rest of the story developed around the characters.
2. Are you planning to keep writing this one series or do you see others in your future as well? Are you an author for the long haul?
In addition to the Afterglow Trilogy, I’m also working on a YA urban fantasy/paranormal romance series called the Crescent Chronicles. Crescent is told from the perspective of a college student and is set in New Orleans. I should have the first book out in the early fall of 2012. I plan to keep writing for the foreseeable future, I’m having so much fun and right now I can’t even keep up with all of the ideas I have.
3. What did you want to be when you were growing up?
I was always changing my mind along the way, but I wanted to be a writer, librarian, teacher or lawyer.
4. Who's your favorite author and\or favorite book and why?
My favorite book is Moby Dick. I don’t think I’ve ever read a book that captures obsession the way Melville does, and I love his use of language and humor. Otherwise I read a lot and I’m finding new favorites (especially Indies) all the time.
5. Do you have a cast in mind if your book were ever to become a movie?
I have never really given it much thought, but I’ve always pictured Calvin as a younger Jared Padalecki and Elizabeth Gillies looks a lot like my image of Charlotte.
6. What is something you wished you'd done differently when publishing this book?
I probably would have gone with a different e-cover from the start. I loved the way my cover looked in print but discovered it didn’t translate well to an e-book.
7. What is something awesome that we can look forward to in book two?
So much happens in Perilous Light that I don’t know where to start. Two things I am really excited about are a big surprise with Liam and an additional narrator.
8. Any lessons learned or advice to new authors?
I am too new to really give much advice, but I would just say try to have fun and write what you enjoy.
9. What's your absolute favorite thing about be an author?
I’ve always enjoyed the escape of a great book, and I love having the opportunity to share my own characters and stories. I also love interacting with readers, bloggers and other authors. It has been so wonderful to meet so many new people.
10. List 5 random things about yourself.
1) I have a toddler and infant at home that always keep me busy
2) I’m addicted to chocolate
3) I went to law school but never practiced law
4) I have a crazy cat named Miles that often helps me write
5) I was the lighting designer for the school plays in high school
Now, Alyssa has offered to give two e-books away for this post. No gimmicks, no ploys, just comment on this post below and on Fri 16th, I'll pick 2 random winners and Alyssa will send you your copy! Good luck!
If you could go and follow Alyssa on her social media's you could get all the information about the books and upcoming releases!
Thank you for stopping by!
Best wishes and happy reading,